On 10 September 2017, the AIGE Terms of Reference was reviewed and approved by the ASEAN relevant bodies consulted following a three year process.
The AIGE proposed by Myanmar, was endorsed by ASEAN Heads of State and Government at the 25th ASEAN Summit on 12 November 2014 in Nay Pyi Taw.
Chairman’s Statement of the 25th ASEAN Summit: “Moving Forward in Unity to a Peaceful and Prosperous Community” Nay Pyi Taw, 12 November 2014 “66. We welcomed the launching of the ASEAN Institute for Green Economy (AIGE) in Myanmar to spur collaboration in sustainable development and greening the regional economy. We looked forward to the AIGE to serve as a centre of excellence on Green Economy, being responsive to regional environmental, climate and economic issues, and contributing to building capacity, fostering research, catalysing and facilitating green technologies, improving management practices and promoting national and international cooperation.”
The AIGE located in the premises of the GEGG (not for profit) Association) Center of Excellence for Greening, CoE-G, is situated in the campus of the Department of Research and Innovation, Ministry for Education, Kanbae, Yangon.
GEGG (not for profit) Association provides, technical, management and administrative support to the AIGE.
The following Articles of the AIGE Terms of Reference are particularly pertinent to GEGG
Establishment of the ASEAN Institute for Green Economy
An ASEAN Institute for Green Economy (AIGE), hereinafter referred to as the “Institute”, shall be established. The Institute will be located at the Centre of Excellence for Greening (CoE-G) of the Green Economy Green Growth Association, Myanmar (GEGG Myanmar Association) in the campus of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Department of Research and Innovation, Yangon, Myanmar.
The Purpose of the Institute
The Institute shall serve as a centre of excellence to promote policies and practices to address green economy and green growth opportunities, with an aim to increase and improve sustainable development, conservation and efficient use of natural resources, particularly energy, water and biodiversity, and transition to low carbon technologies to address climate change. The Institute shall:
• Enhance awareness of programs on green technologies and management practices and
• Assist interested ASEAN Member States in research and knowledge-sharing of green technologies and management practices including through joint research, education and training.
The Structure of the Institute
The Institute shall be composed of:
(a) Steering Committee
(b) Senior Advisory Group of Experts, (SAGE)
(c) Permanent Secretariat
The Steering Committee shall comprise a Representative of each ASEAN Member State, to be appointed by and accountable to the respective Appointing Governments. The Chair of the Steering Committee shall be the Representative of the ASEAN Member State holding the Chairmanship of ASEAN. The Members of the Steering Committee shall elect two Vice-chairmen from among themselves for a term of one year each. The Steering Committee shall:
• Approve the activities and projects of the Institute, formulated by the Permanent Secretariat.
• Approve and oversee the annual operating budget for the Institute, as well as the financial management and procurement policy formulated by the Permanent Secretariat.
• Perform such other functions as may be necessary to carry out the mandate and functions of the Institute;
• Meet as necessary.
Senior Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE)
The SAGE would provide scientific and technical advice on greening policies, strategies and practices to the Steering Committee.
• The SAGE shall comprise a senior official with knowledge and experience on green and sustainability as appointed by each ASEAN Member State.
• The Chair of SAGE shall be the Chair of the Steering Committee or his/her representative.
• The Executive Director of the AIGE will be an ex-officio member of SAGE.
• SAGE members will serve for two years, renewable for more terms than two years
• An internal process will be put in place to ensure that at any one time, only up to half the members are, so as to ensure institutional continuity.
• The GEGG Myanmar Association will provide the scientific and technical resources as well as the facility for the SAGE.
Scientific and Technical Personality
The Scientific and Technical Personality of the Institute shall be established with the cooperation of the Centre of Excellence of Greening, CoE-G of the Green Economy Green Growth, the GEGG Myanmar Association which will also be the national consultant.
THERE ARE A TOTAL OF 11 ARTICLES:
Article 6 ” Permanent Secretariat
Article 7 Executive Director
Article 8 Financial Arrangements
Article 9 Judiciary Personality
Article 11 Report & review